Sunday, July 6, 2014

Its a choice to be happy

I am making the decision to be happy.

This year started out with a couple of huge bombs in my life. I utilized whimpering, whining, anger, anxiety, depression, pick a sad word and there it was.

It has been a lot to handle.



I'm a naturally happy soul. Like a boomerang that always comes back to where it starts. But being that way is equally hard and easy.

Every circumstance that gets thrown my way and feels like a wrecking ball to the gut takes some rebounding.

Here's my process:
  • Get hit. Ouch.
  • Let it out. For me that could involve screaming, crying, punching a pillow, going for a really long drive with no destination in mind. 
  • Optional: Take a day or two to avoid it. No more than that. This won't make it go away but sometimes I just need to catch my bearings.
  • Decide how much of this is controllable. 

  • Start planning on my life's "route adjustment." What now? What happens next? What can I do and what do I need to remind myself (usually incessantly) to let go and let God?
  • Keep moving. And pray. Keep praying.
The keep moving part is the most important. You walk hand and hand with God. Keep moving your feet. Sometimes he carries you. Keep moving so desperately and courageously until you leave the middle of the storm because if you don't then you'll never see what light is coming your way.

Most of the things that effect us the most, we have the least control over. 

  • Health....in the hands of God.
  • Life and death....in the hands of God.
  • The actions of others....in their hands.
  • Bad drivers....up to ineptitude of drivers and God willing their ability to change.
  • Natural disasters....God again.
  • Bills....it'd be nice not to have bills or things break. Half God, half budgeting for things you don't know about.
  • Work....do your best. Its only partially up to you and partially up to the goodwill of your bosses. And you can't control your boss.

Its a choice. To let life break you, or teach you to fly. Its a chance to re-evaluate your priorities and find a path that is worth spending your time on.

I'm choosing to be happy right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment